Thursday 17 November 2011

Christmas is coming...

Well, it's not long really, is it?!

The time is coming for the mantel to be re-done for Christmas time, so I have started on some crafts to adorn it.  And what says Christmas more than Christmas trees?


I do like to use things I have to hand wherever possible.  Last week we got rid of an old double bed, so of course I removed the legs from the base before it was thrown out!  I removed the threaded pieces from the bottom where they were attached to the bed, and thought they had a vaguely Christmas tree shape.


I got out my green and red craft felt.  After applying white glue to the entire leg, I placed it on the felt and rolled it up, then left them all to dry - the red ones were done a little later so only the green are shown here.


Once all 6 were dry, I trimmed the felt around the bottom, up the back "seam (which needed another bit of white glue to get it to stick properly on most of them) and the top I trimmed about 3/4 inch from the top of the actual wooden leg.

To finish the top, I snipped from the top of the felt to the top of the leg 4 or 5 times and then using hot glue, glued each piece down to cover the top of the wood.  Here they are all ready to be decorated!


The decorating was super quick thanks to my glue gun - I gathered up a few craft bits and bobs in red, green and gold (yes, I am going for the traditional Christmas colours this year), and here's what I came up with:

For the first one I used a spare piece of ribbon left over from last year - I glued it at the top then wound it around, finishing by gluing and trimming at the bottom.


Next, I used some little jewel stickers which I originally bought for my spooky spider eyes back before Halloween - luckily, the majority of the pack was green, red and a pale green/gold.


Next up was some gold craft thread - similar to the ribbon tree, I glued it at the back then wound it around before finishing it again with glue at the back.


Then I raided the button box looking for red, green and gold buttons - I didn't find any gold ones but did find some interesting green and red ones - trusty old glue gun again, and voila!


I had a small length of red ribbon from somewhere - I decided this one should have a bow tied around it to look like a Christmas tree present!  I say "tied" in the loosest sense of the word, I am a bit rubbish at tying bows so I assembled a nice neat one with hot glue and then attached it on top of a ribbon band I glued to the tree itself.


Last but not least, I gathered the green scrap felt I had left over plus one other mid-shade of green, and cut some narrow lengths.  I again glued them with hot glue, starting and finishing at the back seam.


This project was so super easy and quick, the only lengthy part was waiting for the white glue to dry on the wooden legs - if you do this part before bed and let it dry over night, all to the better!

You may not have spare bed legs lying around(!) but fear not, this could be easily achieved with rolled up cereal box card, or foam cones are pretty cheap at the dollar store or craft store - if you go down that route, you could also use pins and sequins to decorate, I obviously couldn't stick pins into the wood...

I like this little collection of Christmas trees!  I swithered about finishing them at the top with stars, but decided against it.  I may change my mind when they actually go up on the mantel.


They don't look fantastic from the back, but hey, who's gonna see the back?  I think they look awesome from the front, and that's the main thing!!

Nikki x

Linked with


Chic on a Shoestring - Flaunt it Friday #79
Remodelaholic's Annonymous #97 
French Country Cottage - Feathered Nest Friday 
Simply Designing - Simply Link Party 
It's Fun To Craft - "Look At Me" Party!!! 
Someday Crafts - Giveaway Directory 
Lovely Crafty Home - Lovely Crafty Weekend #47 
504 Main - Tickled Pink #74 
At The Picket Fence - Inspiration Friday 
Tater Tots and Jello - Weekend Wrap Up Party 
Be Different Act Normal - Show And Tell Saturday 
Craft Envy - Saturday Spotlight #68 
Uncommon Design - Home For The Holidays

3 comments:

  1. Just stopping by from the Tater Tots & Jello link party. My son loves making Christmas decorations. I'll show him these and see if I can find any spare bed legs! I think cereal boxes will have to do though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute!

    We are having a Home for the Holidays link party and would love for you to link up these adorable trees!

    http://www.uncommondesignsonline.com/2011/11/home-for-holidays-link-party-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simon, I hope you and your son have fun making these! Trish, thanks for letting me know about your link party, I have just gone over and added my trees!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.