I drew some basic leaf shapes, after checking out the garden to seeing what was around! I came up with 3 shapes - one is supposed to be a maple leaf (there are a LOT of maples around here!) but don't ask me what kind of trees the other two come from! Possibly an oak for the leaf on the left?
I ended up cutting out 28 leaf shapes from the various colours. It took me about an hour to pin the template, cut, re-pin etc. The perfect job to do while watching your favourite TV show...
And this is what I ended up with.
I had originally planned to artfully arrange these into a runner for the table and then either sew or glue them together (although after all that cutting, I'm pretty sure I would have ended up using hot glue - super fast!). But as I played with them, I started to see the potential for leaving them unattached.
1) I can arrange them in all kinds of different ways, whatever takes my fancy (see pictures below);
2) Craft felt doesn't wash very well - if there was a spillage at the table (and with 4 kids, they are not exactly rare) I am hoping I can scoop up the few leaves in the firing line - if they get ruined so be it, at least I don't have to thrown the whole project away!
3) I can make a few new leaves every year to add to the pile - maybe one day the pile will be big enough to require a garden rake :O)
So, here are the ways I tried - I'm quite sure the options are almost limitless though (sew them into an Autumn mobile? Put them in frames for Autumn artwork? Make a bunch of them into an Autumn wreath?) - my ideas are all to do with the table.
Spread them out randomly to cover quite a long distance...
Gather them closer into the middle of the table...
Or even try to arrange them around a centrepiece. Obviously, I don't have a centrepiece in this picture, I'm planning to carve my pumpkin with the same leaf shapes and sit it on the table too, so that would work.
Those sharp-eyed readers amongst you may have noticed that 3 of my leaves have some embellishement.
I added some veins to the purple leaf, I outlined the orange (in blanket stitch - a tried and trusted favourite of mine!) and on the yellow one I did both.
Over the next few days I am planning to grab a few leaves whenever I have a spare half hour, and eventually do one of the above to them all - it adds a little texture and interest, I think. They don't all have to be done, even just a few "accent" pieces would be nice!
I will be sure to post a couple of updated pictures once I am done!