Wednesday 12 October 2011

Halloween Wreath

The only time I have had a wreath in the past it at Christmas time,but this year I decided to make one for Halloween too!


I didn't want to spend too much money, and managed to get all the things I needed for around $10 (besides my glue gun, hot glue, a bit of yarn and wreath hanger), so it really wasn't expensive.

I bought this 18 inch wreath at Michaels for $3.99, and their halloween ribbon was on sale for $1 so I bought two designs I liked.



I had some orange coloured yarn so I began by tying it on at the back out of sight then wrapping it around the wreath and then back again.


Then I took the first ribbon and again knotted it on at the back of the wreath, and wrapped it around.  With the second, I went in the other direction to get a criss-cross look.


All I really had in my head when I was planning this wreath was that I wanted a pile of skulls on it - so, I went to the dollar store and bought two sizes of plastic skulls, and I threw in a fake crow and some little shiny bat embellishments for good measure!


I attached the crow first, off centre.  There was a little wire attached to the bottom of the legs but it wasn't really long enough, so I also used a bit of hot glue to help keep him in place, on both feet and where his back met the wreath too.  Apologies for this picture quality, but I wanted to give you an idea of where he ended up.


I then got out my large skulls and began to glue them randomly on the lower side of the wreath opposite the crow, and a couple under Mr Crow's feet.  Then I went back and filled in the gaps with the smaller skulls.

I hot glued a flock of bats above the skull pile, and again placed a couple on the other side, behind the crow.  I had actually bought some white ghost embellishments too but thought this would be too much so left them out - I'm sure I'll find another use for them...

And here is the finished product hanging on the front door!



I love the way my skull pile turned out!


The bats gave it an extra ellement and an added shine...



And of course Mr Crow lends a nice, spooky, halloween edge!


Nikki x

Linked with

Someday Crafts - Whatever Goes Wednesday #87
Blue Cricket Design - Show and Tell 12/10/11 
Seven Thirty Three - Sugar & Spice #80 
The Trendy Treehouse - Create & Share 11/10/11 
Momnivore's Dilemma - Creative Juice #43 
Somewhat Simple - Strut Your Stuff 
Fireflies and Jellybeans - Show Off Your Stuff #96
Hookin Up With House of Hepworth #70

2 comments:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.